Teacher Appreciation Day
Friday, June 23, 2023
Every year scholars are asked to nominate a teacher who made a difference in their lives. Teachers are then invited to visit the Academy, attend afternoon sessions, have dinner with their student, and participate in evening programs. We are looking forward to recognizing all the fabulous teachers out there!
Nominated Teachers: Please fill out the RSVP survey and register your car for parking on campus. These links can be found in your e-mail invitation. Check in at the Mark Twain desk when you arrive. Here is a sample of your schedule for the evening.
- 3:30 p.m. – Arrive on campus and check in
- 4:00 p.m. – Attend one of several afternoon programs
- 5:15 p.m. – Attend dinner at the Mark Twain Hall with your scholar
- 6:30 p.m. – Have your picture taken; group photo of all the nominated teachers and their students!
- 7:00 p.m. – Award Ceremony
- 7:30 p.m. – Evening lecture
- 8:30 p.m. – Join us for a dessert reception
All events will be over by 9:30 p.m.
Saturday, June 24, 2023
- 2:00 p.m. – Alumni arrive at Middlebush Auditorium
- 3:00 p.m. – Big Group in Middlebush Auditorium
- 3:45-4:45 p.m. – Afternoon Programming
- 4:45-6:00 p.m. – Dinner on own
- 7:15 p.m. – Alumni Dance (Lowry Mall)
Sunday, June 25, 2023
Family Day is Sunday, June 25. Scholars may be checked out as early as 8:00 AM. Simply come to the Mark Twain Lobby and the RAs will help ensure your scholars are ready to go! Scholars must be signed out before leaving.
If you plan to have your scholar leave with anyone other than a parent or legal guardian, you must email email@example.com to give permission. Many scholars will spend the day with a family friend or roommate’s family if their parents aren’t available.
We will have some optional afternoon programming on Sunday as well:
- 1:30 – Meet the Faculty! Visit teachers in their classrooms
- 2:30 – Informational Session on “From MSA to the MU Honors College & How the Heck to Pay For It” – Middlebush Auditorium
- 3:30 – Trivia Contest – Scholars and Families compete in Geology Auditorium
All scholars must be returned to Mark Twain to sign themselves in no later than 5:00 PM.
Saturday, July 1, 2023
Scholars can be checked out by their guardians any time between 7:30 AM and 9:30 AM on Saturday, July 1st, and parents and scholars are responsible for the move-out process. Breakfast will be the last meal served at the Academy for Scholars.
The Closing Ceremony for MSA 2023 will be held at 10:00 AM in Jesse Auditorium. All scholars should check out with their RA, turn in their room key, pick up any medications with the med staff, and have their belongings moved out of Mark Twain before the Closing Ceremony Begins. Unlike Opening Day, move out is the responsibility of scholars and their families. It is expected that all scholars will attend the Closing Ceremony.
Scholars and Families will NOT be allowed back in the Mark Twain Residence Hall after the Closing Ceremony ends.
If your scholar will be checked out by someone other than a parent or guardian, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to grant permission. Please include the name of the individual who will be checking out the scholar, along with a phone number where they can be reached if necessary.