The deadline for MSA 2021 faculty applications has been extended to February 26, 2021. This will also push back the interview weekend and the deadline for accepting positions.
All inquiries about teaching positions should be addressed to MOScholarsAcademy@missouri.edu. Interviews with selected applicants will be conducted the weekend of March 12-13, 2021 through our online Zoom application.
To apply, please fill out this Qualtrics application.
Scope of Responsibility
The Academy will be in session seven days a week; classes will meet six days a week. Full-time faculty will have the following responsibilities: Interdisciplinary courses are encouraged.
- Faculty members are required to attend all pre-academy training and orientations June 2-5th.
- Each faculty member will plan and teach a three-hour course six mornings a week that will represent an “academic major” for students. Morning courses will be offered in the areas of humanities, mathematics, social studies and science. Prospective faculty members should understand that the Academy defines these four areas very broadly. Therefore, proposals in philosophy, anthropology, economics, foreign languages, and classical studies, for example, also are appropriate.
- Each full-time faculty member also will be responsible for a one-hour course to be offered five afternoons a week as an “academic minor” for students. For “minor” classes, faculty may propose to offer a version of their morning courses with a more limited focus, or they may propose to offer a totally different course in the afternoon.
- Full-time faculty members will be expected to co-teach (with an assigned RA Co-Facilitator) in the Academy’s Cor: Personal and Social Dynamics program. This curriculum addresses the unique personal and social needs of gifted students. The goal is to provide students with greater insight and understanding of their special abilities, the advantages they enjoy, and their responsibilities to themselves and society. For one hour each weekday afternoon, co-facilitators will lead small group discussions based on pre-set curriculum.
- All faculty members will be expected to submit course descriptions that will be posted on the academy web site. In addition, faculty members will be expected to participate in all evaluation activities of the 2021 Academy.
- This is a full time position – faculty are expected to devote the entire three weeks to MSA – there is little time for other work and responsibilities during the Academy.
|Teaching offer acceptances deadline||March 24, 2021|
|Academy Faculty/Staff Orientation||June 2 – 5, 2021|
|Academy||June 6 – 26, 2021|
|Post-Academy Activities||June 27, 2021|
Full-time faculty will receive $3,000. Transportation expenses to and from Columbia will not be reimbursed.
Housing and Meals
Faculty members who choose campus housing will be provided accommodations adjacent to the University of Missouri campus. In order to encourage development of a total residential experience for both scholars and faculty, faculty will be provided meals on campus. Some meals before and after the Academy will not be provided.
The facilities of the University of Missouri are at the disposal of the Academy faculty. Classrooms, laboratories, museums, library resources, etc., are available for use by Academy faculty and students.
A reasonable budget for instructional materials is available for the Academy. Faculty members must submit requests for instructional materials and equipment by May 1st, 2021.